Monday, June 7, 2010

The Must Watch List.......

We all have one. It is Saturday afternoon, you have your chores done and you sit down with a frosty beverage and a snack, flip on the TV and see what is on. Now that we have cable, satellite TV and even Internet TV we have hundreds of channels to watch, what makes you stop going through the list?

I am not talking about "OH we will watch this later" but what movie or movies cause you to stop in your tracks?

For me I have two movies that are must watch under any circumstances. I think my house could catch fire and I would just sit there and burn to death before getting out of the chair or couch, so great is the need to watch these films.

The first film is Hunt for Red October. I have no idea why this film captivates me so. I am not a particular fan of submarine movies or of Sean Connery. I can shrug off Crimson Tide or a Bond Film. I do not care if it is just the last 15 minutes. I have to watch it, nothing else in the universe matters to me but ooooo Hunt for Red October is on.

Hunt for Red October seems to go into heavy rotation on TNT or TBS. I am not sure which station, I do not care, I am watching Hunt for Red October.

The other movie is Backdraft. Once again I have no real affinity for the cast, even though it is excellent. I also like Towering Inferno, but that is not a drop everything and go all slack jawed and drooly when I see it on my guide listing. Backdraft also seems to get heavy play on the secondary movie channels.

The real funny thing is that I do not own either of these films of DVD. I did own Red October but was forced to sell it, I have never owned a copy of Backdraft.

Do any of you have Must Watch movies?

1 comment:

  1. Before they were released on DVD, I watched the Back to the Future trilogy as often as possible on the cable channels during my middle school years.

    These days I rarely watch movies broadcasted on television, an exception being the Turner Classic Movies channel. This might be my purist side talking but it really bothers me how the networks butcher movies. I'm not just talking about commercial breaks but also edits for time and content. I strongly believe in watching movies the way they are meant to be seen. Uncut, original screen format and no pop-up ads for Lopez Tonight.

    ReplyDelete