Monday, April 12, 2010

Avatar Sound Track

I guess I will start with a Sound Track post for my friends at SST.

Hey guys, girls, and whatevers!

Yay Avatar. I wanted to hate this movie. I really wanted to hate it. It is an old story. Outsider sees primitive culture and then inserts himself into that culture and then saves that culture. The story is not new. Man Called Horse, Shogun, Dances With Wolves, Last Samurai, we have all seen them, but I had to see it. I had to see why I would hate it as much as MCH, and LS. I give DWW a pass because it is about my people and the details are great, but the overall story still annoys me.

Ok back to Avatar. I decided to go all out. IMAX 3D the whole bit. I ended up really enjoying it, the story was old and tired but told extremely well and the graphics were amazing. Yea I am a sucker for the flashy stuff on the screen. fantastic. I also really liked the music by James Horner.

I am a sucker for James Horner. I have been since Star Trek II, and the music in Avatar was some of the best I have heard from him. I ran out and purchased the Avatar Sound Track. 12 bucks, BTW the cost of sound track cds is a topic for another post in the future. I liked the Avatar release but there was a lot of missing content and major cues. Other tracks seemed combined. It was just ok but not what I remembered. I mentioned my displeasure to a friend of mine and he came back to me later in the day with a cdr that contained a .rar file.

I unzipped the files on the cd and was astonished to find a 3 disc promo release of the Avatar sound track. Ok ok it is a boot, and that is bad, No I am not going to tell you where to find it and I did not ask my friend. I did some research and discovered that this 3 disc promo release was sent to some academy voters.

I played the tracks... My jaw dropped. There it was, a bit rough around the edges, but it was all there. It is amazing, like LOTR Complete Recordings amazing. The LOTRCR is what I want from ST releases, and I think they are worth every penny of their initial 60 dollar release price. I would gladly hand over 60 dollars for a full official release of the 3 disc Avatar promo set.

But I can wait.

Rumors are that there is an extended version of Avatar in the works for a Nov DVD/BR release and possibly an extended re release of the movie in theaters this summer. The extended release will contain 20 to 40 minutes of added content... that means more score.

I have seen Avatar twice in the theater.
I have purchased the current ST release
I will purchase the barebones DVD to be released on April 22nd.

I want the option to purchase an extended ST along the lines of the epic LOTR releases.

No comments:

Post a Comment