Friday, September 3, 2010

Come on Down Everything is On "_________"

You know the word that is missing. You are human, and the goal of most humans is to fill the empty spaces of their homes with stuff. I do not have to spell it out for you, unless you are an animal and even the smartest animal can't read. If you are not human and not an animal but can read then you must be an alien. If you are an alien become a citizen, not only is it the right thing to do but it comes with some great benefits.... what was this post about? Oh yea.

Garage Sale....

10 years ago my wife and I lived in a gigantic house. It was over 3 thousand square feet of living space, not including the 1,700 square foot unfinished basement that held 2 furnaces and 2 50 gallon water heaters. The two AC units lived happily outside. It was grand, I never ran out of hot water and the heat and ac were controllable on each floor. I could store sides of cow in the upstairs to train for my, never got off the ground, boxing career while living in tropical luxury on the main level. The point is that 10 years ago my wife and being human filled it up with stuff.

Well we no longer live in the Brown Eyes palace and are moving to a townhouse that is 1,200 square feet. I have spent the last two weeks filling a 3 car garage with 10 years of accumulated detritus that I now need to eject. There is some great stuff there.

Two very large overstuffed leather chairs and couch that have survived a constant 10 year assault by 4 fully armed and operational cats. I believe that they are completely indestructible and need a good home.

an ice cream maker that I have had for 9 years. I love ice cream and thought that an ice cream maker would be a great thing. I once had a friend who wanted to make chocolate, but he discovered that actually making chocolate was very expensive and time consuming and rapidly discovered that it was better to buy his Hershey's bars than make them himself. I have successfully created ice cream once and then decided that picking up a pint of Ben & Jerry's Phish Food at the local market was not only less time intensive but much cheaper than trying to make it on my own. I also discovered that my name is David, not Ben or Jerry and they are much better at making ice cream than I am. I took a big breath and blew the dust off the ice cream maker and it too was added to the mountain of stuff in my garage.

The mountain contains various decorative stuff, bowls, candles, candle holders, Fluuuufffaaaaaay stuff animals that just make you want to die, old tech, geeky toys, fake plants and ivy, 2 beds, an assortment of other small furniture, unused dish sets, place mats, a shocking assortment of implements used to extract info from terrorist prisoners or to make various bar drinks. I rarely ever drink so why do I have them in the first place? I do not even know what most of them are for. The mountain grows like my own personal Kilauea.

As the mountain of random cra.... err my wife says it is all good stuff and I agree that most of it is good stuff, I feel better and better. I am not meaning this to be a rant against excess but I guess it is. It feels good to buy things to fill up the space but it feels just as good if not better to unload all the stuff.

I feel lighter with every arm full I add to that pile.

The sale is next weekend. The good feeling is tempered somewhat as I look at the pile of stuff and realize that now I must sort, price, and stage it all. But the sense of lightening my load, will become even better when humans come to the sale to pick up stuff that they will use to fill the empty places in their homes. In time they will also shake off the accumulated possessions just as I am doing... It is, in the end, a grand circle....

pssst wana buy an ice cream maker?

2 comments:

  1. No thanks. I'll stick with the Cherry Garcia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if worse comes to worse, you can make a killing from higher-end consignment stores. my bf is still getting checks from them a year after we moved - he had all this old film-making equipment.

    ReplyDelete